Friday, December 24, 2010

Tradition....


Pierogies (my favorite)


Oplatek wafers
Everyone remembers a family tradition.  The one I remember most is called, Wigilia " I am of Polish descent and every Christmas Eve since I can remember, all of the family, including aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins would meet at one of the relative's homes, usually in a decorated basement.  The men would immediately head for the bar and the women would start preparing the food.  Generally, festivities began around 5 p.m.  There were a lot of  kisses, hugs, and a few tears. Many of our parents have died in recent years and we, the surviving adults, have kept the tradition going.  Before dinner, the oldest would take a wafer (oplatek); break a piece and share it with immediate family wishing them a blessed Christmas and a new year filled with health, wealth, and happiness. Each person shared the wafer that had been given to them, broke off a piece and continued through the room until everyone had finished.  Occasionally, we would personalize the wish.  By the end of the tradition, a certain peace had settled in because everyone realized the importance of family and gathering together.  We would then sit at a long table, a short prayer was said; blessing those present,  those departed, and those, who could not be there that night.  Once this was finished, it was time to celebrate by filling our plates with food, that was generally prepared or baked by the women.  These included potato or sauerkraut pierogies (my favorite), kielbasa, horseradish that cleared your sinuses, potato salad, kasha, casseroles, vegetables, and desserts.  All the food is home-made and the aromas and tastes are met with such comments as, "the kielbasa's good;  'I love the ambrosia' (Is that Polish?)."  It really didn't matter.  There were compliments, jokes, whispers and a feeling that can only be described as love.  I can't be there tonight so I am trying to remember everything, as much as I can, so I'll feel as if I were there.  There were a few of us who still remembered the Polish greeting, which is, "Wesolych Swiat."  The elders said it properly, the rest of us stumbled through it, and now, we wish each other a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  The words aren't as important as the tradition of being together.   So, tonight, I wish all of my family and fellow bloggers, a very Merry Christmas and an abundant New Year filled with health and experiences that enrich and fulfill your life.  Thanks to all of you who have been supportive this year.  I look forward to all of us having even a better year.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment