Monday, December 27, 2010

Riches


In the Middle Ages, obesity was often considered a sign of wealth.  If that's true, I'm feeling very wealthy today. I don't know if I gained any weight but I did overeat.  I know, I know.  It's the holidays. Don't be so hard on yourself.  It only comes around once a year (Thank God) for many reasons. l made at least six dozen cookies, potato salad, banana bread, cranberry cake, cranberry salad, turkey, brownies, and snickerdoodles. I've sampled it all.  The banana bread only made it to one other place.  The rest of the loaf, unfortunately, was eaten by me. I did walk a mile today. (BFD) But, the point of my post  is riches. How do you measure yours?  Is it by the size of your house, type of car, money in the bank, stocks, other property?  Most people do and that's quite common. But, I do think that type of comparison can lead to depression.  Many people have "things."  A lot of wealth that can be measured by an accountant.  But, what about your emotional equity?  Friends, family, companions. Generosity to a person in need.  Knowing you would help a friend if they were in trouble.  Realizing your actions may have changed the direction of someone's life.  The truth is I am not a wealthy person if you looked at my bank accounts.  In fact, I'm a writer.  That says it all.  I do my best. When I get upset, I remind myself that other people need to be on medication and I need to stay on mine.  I will make a point about prostate cancer and that is one in four men will be diagnosed this year. One in two will be diagnosed if they happen to be African American. Why?  Awareness..Fear...Money.  I don't know.  All I know is that if you can tell a friend or neighbor about the importance of getting a physical and remind them that their life may depend on it, you too can be rich. Consider it an investment.      

No comments:

Post a Comment