Sunday, December 19, 2010

Do Ask, Do Tell



Today, December l8th, the Senate repealed the, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," law that has been in effect since l925.  President Obama states that, "I will never know what it feels like to be discriminated against because of my sexual orientation. But I know my story would not be possible without the sacrifice and struggle of those who came before me -- many I will never meet, and can never thank. I know this repeal is a crucial step for civil rights, and that it strengthens our military and national security. I know it is the right thing to do." He says he will sign the new bill later this week, claiming that it is a great step for civil rights, since discrimination against gays and lesbians in the military has been long in effect."  In the past, if a soldier, regardless of their record were "outed," they were given a dishonorable discharge, and lost benefits. Think about it. For their sexual preference.  They fought for us and served our Country well. Many have died in battle.   As you know from an earlier post, I have "come out" this year and am proud to be gay. It is a big step for me and this is a big step for our Country, although I don't think Congress cares much about the fact that I "came out." (lol)   I applaud the Congress and the President for the historical passage. On a similar note, many of us who have or fight cancer, are also in the minority.  Many of us can't get jobs, and the same applies to insurance, until recently. Those of us who are bald from chemo or other drugs; using wheelchairs or walkers due to weakness; are often given that, "Poor thing" look, or even worse, many avoid giving "eye contact," or dealing with us at all.  We didn't ask for cancer, just like gays and lesbians in the military did not ask to be "gay."  They did sign up to serve our Country.  Shouldn't they, like us, be given the respect we deserve for our "battle"? 

No comments:

Post a Comment