Friday, November 26, 2010

Intimacy As A Second Language

We, as men, do not speak Intimacy. In fact, most of us equate the word with sex. If you are in a relationship, I would bet, initially, you couldn't get enough of each other.  Time moves on and sex becomes less frequent... arguments, silences, "you don't love me anymore." Have I got it right, so far?  More years pass.  Kids grow and leave. And you're left alone with your partner.  You ask yourself, "Who is this person?  I mean really, "Who is this person?"
Then suddenly, you learn you have prostate cancer and all you can think about is sex, and you wonder:
1. Will I still get erect after treatment?
2. Will I be able to perform, even if I am erect?
3. Will I still be a man?
Answers: Maybe, maybe, yes.

Here's the deal.  Your partner still loves you.  And most likely, it's not because you're a super-stud.

I learned "intimacy" in my past and I'd like to pass it along.

Lesson One:
Repeat after me.  I need you.
One more time.   I (eye) need (knee with a d) you (u).

Now, try to add pauses:
                            I (pause)...need (pause)...you.
Good.
Extra points if you include your partner's name.

Finally, and this is the most difficult part, look into your partner's eyes and say it like you mean it.
You can do it.  I know you can.

What happens next will surprise you and your partner, who has probably passed out.
Tears, kisses, hugs.  Who knows?  But, I can guarantee you, it will bring the two of you together.

And, that is the end of our first lesson speaking, "Intimacy."

No comments:

Post a Comment