Friday, November 19, 2010

Nathan Detroit Vs. The Laptop

I've had Nate for 3 years now.  I got him from Pug Rescue, and he was 3 then. In dog years, he would be 42. All that matters, is that he's my dog.  When he gets into something, which does happen, I refer to him as Nathan Detroit from Guys and Dolls . Since I'm originally from Detroit, it seemed like the appropriate surname. He came into my life shortly before my mom died and a year before I discovered I had prostate cancer.  To say he's been a great friend would be a gross understatement.  As I write this, he is under my right elbow, snoring.  He had dental surgery two weeks ago and I've spoiled him even more than usual. He's recovered. I'm not sure I have.  Pre-surgery, he learned to accept my laptop, but it's been a battle.  I've only had my laptop for 4 months and to Nate it was an intruder.  Something that took my time and attention.  At first, he would have none of it.  When I worked at the kitchen table, he would cross back and forth, until he managed to disconnect it.  In the morning, after breakfast (his, not mine) he'd jump on the couch arm and stare at me, threatening to jump on the computer. It was a standoff and he usually won.  Once he got the attention he wanted, I'd get back to work.  Since he was here before the laptop, I've decided he's right.  What's fair is fair.  If you're wondering, "Who's in charge?" the answer seems obvious.   

No comments:

Post a Comment