Wednesday, January 9, 2013

PCD......Prostate Cancer Depression

I know I've talked about this in the past but I'm starting to see the subject come up again in the forums. After diagnosis, research, and surgery, men often become depressed. Much of this is due to the side effects of prostate such as incontinence and erectile dysfunction.  I know after my surgery, I became depressed, and unfortunately it is a "sliding slope." 


Not doing anything about it often causes a deeper depression. In reality, there are symptoms which seem insurmountable and no man wants to admit to impotence. Often function will return.  It is very important to seek support or counseling during this, and if possible both.  I went to a therapist and also joined a support group. Both helped me. Unfortunately, most of us don't want to admit something is wrong.  Denial is a great defense but it doesn't work. Our friends, family, and partners know what's going on. It helps so much if you can open up to someone and start talking.  Support groups such as USTOO, which meets in a number of different locations, can be very helpful. There is a period of adjustment and this takes time and patience. Your life may not be the same, but it can still be fulfilling. Choices such as VED (vacuum pump), injections, alternative methods can be discussed. It is important to realize there is hope. It is not the end. Please don't give up. With time and help, you can conquer this.

No comments:

Post a Comment