Monday, August 8, 2011

Pick Yourself Up, Dust Yourself Off, And......

I try to be as honest as I can in my posts. Most of the times, I try to stay upbeat, but there are times when it's not always that easy.  This is one of them.  As some of you know, I am a writer and cancer survivor. I have written a book, entitled, Bagel, Bagel, Crunch That Kegel (a humorous approach to dealing with prostate cancer). What I haven't talked about here is that my book was with a publisher and that I had done a few rewrites, worked on my platform, and contacted people for recommendations. Then I started the waiting and waiting and waiting. For those of you familiar with publishing, this is not unusual, for those of you who aren't, the time can seem endless. What many people don't know is that publishing can take at least two years, if not more. Publishers are overwhelmed with manuscripts and do the best they can and there is no rushing the process. I am familiar with this because I have been an actor and auditioned many times and know that rejections are part of the process. You can't take it personally. It's not about your work, it's about a type, a whim, a mood of the director. Regardless, sometimes you get a part and most of the times you don't. So, what am I saying. My manuscript was accepted, they held on to it for nine months, and last week I received the, "As much as we like your work, we do not think we will be accepting it for the list...."  What I learned is that you have to have a contract or you don't have an agreement. You must be patient and you have to roll with the punches. Was I depressed, did it feel like a rabbit punch, did I stay in bed longer than I should have.....yes, yes, and yes. The publisher is most likely going bankrupt, which is something I didn't and couldn't know.  But, it is time to move on. I have started to look at other small presses and am getting ready for my next attempt. I have also decided to start on another book because you can't sit around and wait for the rejections. You have to stay busy and the best way is to start on another book. I write this for me, but I also write it for you. For those of you deciding on treatment options, researching doctors, dealing with incontinence and impotency. No one can predict the future. You can only do your research, make your best decision and hope for the best. In a lot of ways, it's a "crap shoot." As far as the publishing industry, my book may or not be hitting at the right time and place. That is out of my control.....There is a lot out of our control.  Nothing we can do anything about. That being so, worrying about it is a waste of time. We can only do our best, do our homework, and pray. If you don't pray, hope.  Always keep hope alive. It allows you to get through it and move forward, hopefully. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ken, sorry to hear about the news, that sucks. Although like you allude in your post, it's just an opportunity for another (hopefully financially viable!) publisher to take it and run with it.

    Looking forward to what your new idea is or are you keeping it a secret? My Mom may or may not have told me but my memory these days is pretty spotty!

    Take care and possibly see you out in Chitown one of these weekends...

    Chris

    ReplyDelete