Sunday, August 14, 2011

Choices: Dealing With Prostate Cancer

As I follow the Prostate Cancer forums, I see that there are several men who have recently been diagnosed and are wondering about the best way to deal with the prostate cancer. I know this is a difficult time for you. It was for me. Do your research. Try not to panic. And once you've made your decision, don't look back. So much depends on your situation. You must deal with your Gleason score, biopsy results, and the advice of your doctor. I hate to generalize, but doctors, especially urologists, suggest surgery. I eventually decided on robot assisted prostatectomy. It was not an easy choice but I'm glad that is what I chose. Three years, post op, I am still in remission, and with the help of the forums, other groups, and a good therapist, have accepted the situation and moved on. This worked for me.  It may not necessarily work for you.  It's difficult to give a blanket statement as to what works best. Talk to others, go to prostate cancer survivor groups, read, read, read, and research. Try to get as many consultations as you can and once you feel well informed, make your decision. I was one of those people who didn't want to live with the knowledge that I had cancer and it could metastasize. Realize it is your body and you have the right to deal with the cancer whichever way you choose. Be brave, have courage, and trust your gut feelings. That is generally your best guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment