Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Money Flies....

It just seems to disappear faster than I'd like. The other day, it literally happened. I was at the toll booth.
"That will be $8.00 sir.
"Eight dollars!" I had only gone about 2 miles.  I had been prepared to give up to three, but eight. So, I pulled out my wallet and found a five to hand over with the three ones. At that magic moment when money exchanges hands, I saw my five dollar bill float away toward the line of cars behind me As I watched it pass me, I thought, "there goes another five" and was prepared to dig deeper into my wallet. But the toll taker who has probably seen this happen numerous times, said, "You can still get it. It's right there behind your car. I can see it."

Not wanting to lose it, I jumped out of my car, not realizing I hadn't put it into park. I ran for the five, jumped on it so it wouldn't fly away and watched my car move forward.  Oh yeah, and my dog Nathan was jumping around the front seat. Money or Nathan. I ran to my car and caught it just in time. I backed up to the booth, handed her the money. 

"You nearly lost both." Yeah, I nearly did. I was sure I had given her the money initially, and wondered if she had let it go. I thought she had but I could never prove it. Working as a toll taker must get boring. Before I drove away, she seemed to be muffling a laugh, as she said, "Have A Nice Day."

No comments:

Post a Comment