Monday, September 5, 2011

Doctor, Doctor, Mr. M.D....

I remembered the lyrics to this song but forgot the group and title. It's "Good Lovin'" by the Young Rascals, l966. (God bless Google) Stick with me. I have a point here. I've been talking to many patients who were misled by their doctors. This is especially true when it comes to prostate cancer. In another post, on Honesty, I gave the doctors a break but this time I'm not. Doctors are uncomfortable dealing with sexuality, but they are very comfortable saying,"Bend Over." Hmm.


A general answer is, "80 to 90% of my patients return to full sexual functioning within a year." I don't know where they get their statistics but this isn't true. Check out cancer forums, especially PCAI.  Doctors are in business. They make more money doing surgery. Therefore, they recommend prostate removal. I opted for surgery because I didn't have the patience for "watchful waiting." After surgery,many doctors recommend vacuums, extenders, and injections for erections. None allow for sexual spontaneity. The doctor's final recommendation is a penile implant, which is sensual for both parties. The majority of men give it a  thumbs up.  (Breathe, Ken) My point is that there are many recommendations before we get to the most successful one, a penile implant. Thanks for reading. I feel so much better now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment