Sunday, September 25, 2011

Dating and Cancer

Many people assume we are in relationships when we get cancer. That's not true. It's just that there aren't too many forums or blogs that deal with cancer and being single. I was single when I was diagnosed, when I had surgery, when I recovered. Not only was I single. I was gay and single. I still am gay and single. The difference is I am in remission. Cancer is insidious. It left me with a sense of dying. My healthy self did die but my healthy side refused to. I know we all fight and some lose. I don't think we want to but sometimes cancer is too pervasive. Too destructive for any surgery or treatment to stop it. So what's my point? My point is that I feel I am very lucky and blessed. I try to remember that everyday. I try to be aware of it. I try not to be depressed over small things. I try to remember what's important in life. It's not money or possessions. It's family, friends, and I'd like to say a relationship. I keep looking and keep myself open to the idea of it. I try not to let cancer define me and insist that I define who I am.  You can too. Remember that. I'm trying to.

No comments:

Post a Comment