Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sisyphus Succeeds ....

I don't know about you but I have a tendency to procrastinate. I think I've talked about this before. I usually have great intentions but after a week or so my interest wanes and I become bored.

Last week, I completed a strenuous three month training program followed by a grueling test. I am glad to report that I received my accreditation. I'd rather not go into what it is but doing anything that requires immense concentration and focus at my age is difficult. I couldn't help but think of Sisyphus I am trying to avoid any hubris belief of my accomplishment since I believe anyone can do the same thing. 




So why am I telling you this? I think it has a place in our battle to stay healthy. There were many times I wanted to stop and just say, "forget it." But there was also part of me that saw it as a challenge and as time moved on, I felt I had an investment in myself.

I think the same applies to those of us who fight to stay alive, be it a week, a month, a year. What is the alternative?  To just give up. I know it's difficult to compare emotional pain to physical pain but I do think that either  can be exhausting.

My thought is this: What is life but one challenge after another?  Each time we complete one, we are ready to take on another. The reward is the willingness to do it. The outcome is not guaranteed but the fact that we tried is immeasurable.  


No comments:

Post a Comment