Monday, April 4, 2011

When I Say Yes, I Mean No


Recently, I was in a situation where I said "yes," and really felt "no." This is not the first time I have done this. I have been taught to be a "people pleaser," polite, and appeasing. Often, this is at my own expense. These are random thoughts, so bear with me. After much agony, discussions with a friend, and some serious nightmares, I realized I was very miserable about my decision. I wasn't doing anyone any good. I then had to take control (there's that word again) of the situation and said "no." What often surprises me, as it did again, was that my decision was met by complete understanding. I, of course, imagined the earth opening and my falling into the depths of hell. It didn't happen. And so what is the lesson. Trust your feelings.  This isn't the first time I've said this.  In fact, I preach it to my clients. Trust your truth. It will never fail you. The nuns often punished us by making us write some transgression on the board a hundred times. I have to sign off now. I'm going to make myself a mango sundae with fresh blueberries, topped with whipping cream.I have learned rewards are better than punishment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment