Monday, April 11, 2011

Surrender


Today, I watched a segment of Oprah who had Shirley MacLaine on as her guest. Maclaine was discussing her new book, "I'm Over All That: And Other Confessions. I personally like MacLaine (I'm sure she's waiting for this endorsement) We met in a previous life while I was a pig farmer and she was a queen. But, back to this life. I've always enjoyed her performances and her personality. Plus, she has a dog. "What else do I need?" she says. Near the end of the show, she mentioned that one of her most important life lessons was "Surrender to the complicated divine plan." And this statement resounded with me. It made sense. I try to control situations or the future to no avail.  This only leads to frustration and despondency. Life unfolds the way it unfolds. And, it is complicated.  This leads me back to God. I want a lot of things (not really, maybe an Android phone), but I need a God. Without him, it doesn't make sense. It just doesn't.  So mes amis, take what you want from my observation. It was important to me. All of us have been given a life different than what we imagined. It is a good life. Filled with some sorrow, but also some glory. I'm going to enjoy the glory.  I have some chocolate chip cookies calling my name and I'm grateful for the peace I have at this moment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment