Saturday, March 5, 2011

Obsession

I've been thinking about obsession. In fact, to be honest, I've been obsessing about obsession. I know I obsess.  I never thought of it as being a problem. In fact, I still don't. But, as a writer, when I write, or re-write,which is what writers do, I find I become completely involved.  I don't notice anything around me , I am one with my laptop. Hours go by. I don't want this to be a humble boast, because I'm not sure it's such a good thing.  It's something I do. A friend pointed out that I have attention to detail. I didn't quite buy it, but she persisted."Would you want your doctor to be unfocused?"  Of course not. That's how people become good at what they do. They are productive. They are productive because they become completely enmeshed with their work. They keep going until it is done. I do that.  In fact, I do it a lot. Since it is behavior that has served me well, I won't call it obsession. What does this have to do with cancer? Nothing, as far as I know. But, don't get me started because one thought leads to another and we're off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment