Thursday, February 10, 2011

Self confidence and cancer


Golden Trumpets
When you hear side effects, you generally think about physical symptoms.  Yes, they are real and they are visible.  But what about psychological scars?  I think anyone who has ever been diagnosed with any type of cancer, suffers some residuals. I never had a lot of self-confidence but after I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, I found I had even less. Getting through surgery, dealing with incontinence, impotence. Each of these had its toll.  Those of you who have had different cancers, know what I'm talking about. It may have affected your relationship with your partner or family. It has been nearly three years for me, and even though my surgical scars have nearly disappeared, my emotional ones are still healing.  Each time I make a step, it's better and it's important to celebrate. Take time to do it. I treated myself to a vacation. I didn't have the money but I had credit cards and concerned friends who encouraged me. I made it happen and it has helped me so much. I found myself writing long hours every day and enjoying it.  To those of you who read this, take time to do something nice for yourself.  You deserve it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment