Thursday, May 12, 2011

Self-criticism


There are times when I can get into self-criticism. It seems (in my mind) that I can't do anything right. As a writer, I know that this is my internal critic. The one that sits on my shoulder and says,"You can't write.This is all garbage. Who would want to read this?" I've become better when it comes to my writing but it's the other times, everyday living, that can get difficult.  Criticism, in itself, can be constructive if the person giving it, is trying to help improve you. But, if you're a bit doubtful, you might accept criticism because of low self-esteem. It also manifests itself in depression, alcohol and drug abuse, and perfectionism. The trick is trying to get yourself to a healthy place, feeling good about yourself, so that you can easily brush it away. I often try to use affirmations or suggest others use them.  A repetition of positive traits can help one's self-esteem.  Also, try thought control. This takes some practice but what it boils down to, is catching yourself when you're on a run of negativity. Realize what you're doing and then tell yourself to stop it.  With time, this gets easier to do.  Self-criticism leads to stress which can affect our thoughts and physical well-being. I also suggest working out, which allows me to stop thinking about anything and just exercise.  Afterwards, I always feel better.  Natural endorphins are the best drug.  So, my friends, I'm going to walk the dog and make sure he has a perfect poop , which I will then clean up so that area looks like it has never been touched.     

No comments:

Post a Comment